HSL Requirement

The Hawaiian or Second Language (HSL) requirement varies depending on the student’s major.  Students should check with their college advisor to learn about their requirements.  The Colleges of Arts & Sciences require that students demonstrate competence at the 202 (or equivalent) level in Hawaiian or a second language by doing one of the following:

1.  Complete a four-semester sequence (usually 101, 102, 201, and 202) in a single language.

The College of LLL regularly offers first- and second-year courses in more than 25 languages (click here for more information about the courses). Students placed at levels above the 101 level in a second language offered at UHM can also receive, at no additional cost, credits for the course(s) they are exempted from upon completing the next course in the sequence with a letter grade of C (not C-) or better. Those whose level is above that of 202, including native speakers of the languages, can receive credit for the 4-semester course sequence provided they complete, with a letter grade of C (not C-) or better, an appropriate course above 202 in which the student makes significant use of the language. “Significant use” of a language is normally determined by the course prerequisites and content. Additional restrictions apply. Read the back-credit policy carefully and check with the appropriate language department for details.

The back-credit policy (updated in 2019): Click here for policy

2. Demonstrate 202-level second language competency through evaluation.

Multilingual speakers who grew up with two (or more) languages or native speakers of a language other than English may demonstrate 202-level second language competency through evaluation. If the non-English language the student speaks is taught at Mānoa, s/he should see the undergraduate advisor of the department where the language is taught and have his/her proficiency evaluated by using the Evaluation of Second Language Competency Form.

Please download the form from here: http://lll.hawaii.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Language-competence-evaluation_fillable1.pdf

If the non-English language s/he speaks is NOT taught at Mānoa, the student first of all needs to obtain an official supporting document verifying that s/he is a native/heritage speaker of the language and that s/he is competent in both oral and written language. The student is responsible for having his oral and written language proficiency evaluated. A family member or friend cannot serve as an evaluator. Majors in the College of Arts & Humanitiesand the College of Language, Linguistics & Literature should submit the required language verification document to The Advising Center for the Colleges of Arts & Humanities and Languages, Linguistics & Literature, (in QLC 113 ). Other majors should submit the document to their respective advising offices.